August marks the 4th year that I have provided mouthguards to Petrolia hockey players for free of charge. We have seen a steady increase in the number of athletes every year since we started offering this service. This year we hope to make 150 between August and September. I am encouraging donations for the Petrolia Food Bank this year in an attempt to get people in the town to “pay it forward” to those that could use some help putting healthy food on the table.
Sports guard Do’s and Don’ts:
- Do: store clean and dry- wet sports guards encourage mold and bacteria growth.
- Do: rinse before and after each use. Soapy water or toothpaste will both work to clean the guard.
- Don’t: chew it! Chewing things the guard which lessens the protection
- Don’t: share it! Not only is this gross, but our guards are custom fit and will only fit the patient they are intended for.
- Don’t: leave it in your hockey bag. This will keep the guard moist and will lead to a “mossy”, stinky sports guard.
Thank you for supporting our office!
Dr. Mike Hoben